On 11/06/13 11:10, Michael Pope wrote:
> On 11/06/13 10:21, Michael Pope wrote:
>> Rob,

>>> I have the same problem.  Mplayer works, but Rhythmbox doesn't.  I think
>>> mplayer is using alsa, but if you want to do some tests you can do
>>> 'mplayer -ao pulse' or 'mplayer -ao alsa', etc.  One thing to note:  if
>>> I try to use rhythmbox (which uses pulseaudio I assume), sound will not
>>> work with mplayer until I reboot the thin client.  So make sure you
>>> reboot your thin client in between tests.
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>
>> If I play using mplayer either with 'pulse' or 'alsa' I get the same message
>> 'Audio device got stuck!'
>>
>> When I start mplayer I can see it in the 'pavucontrol' on the client.
>> When I adjust the thin clients main volume it adjusts the server at the
>> same time. It is like both pulse servers (server & client) are linked
>> together.
>>

>> from
>> Michael

I managed to get sound working but I have to keep 'pavucontrol' in the
startup of each client and if I close pavucontrol the audio stops working.

With pavucontrol started
: pactl list sinks short
0    alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo module-alsa-card.c
s16le 2ch 44100Hz    IDLE

Closing pavucontrol & try playing something then type the pactl list
again give me this:
: pactl list sinks short
0    alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo module-alsa-card.c
s16le 2ch 48000Hz    SUSPENDED

I also had to setup my server /etc/asound.conf with the following:
pcm.!default { type pulse }
ctl.!default { type pulse }

And set up the following /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
[Default]
     SOUND_DAEMON       = pulse
     SOUND              = True

     LDM_LANGUAGE=en_AU.utf8

     # For ltsp-info to read proc and shutdown clients
     ALLOW_PROCREAD = Y
     ALLOW_SHUTDOWN = Y

     TIMEZONE=Australia/Melbourne

     # Grant access to /media /opt and /home on server from local_apps
     # These are not working for some reason
     LOCALDEV_DENY_INTERNAL_DISKS=False
     MOUNT_LOCAL_OPT=True
     MOUNT_LOCAL_MEDIA=True
     MOUNT_LOCAL_REAL_HOME=True

     # You may have to use local apps for anything which links to a
local camera
     LOCAL_APPS=True
     LOCAL_APPS_EXTRAMOUNTS=/media,/opt
     LOCAL_APPS_MENU=True
     #LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS=skype,cheese

     # Allow use of ltsp-remoteapps within localapps on the terminals
     # mainly used for associating programs to filetypes
     REMOTE_APPS=True

     # Turn off encryption between server and client.  Speeds things up.
     LDM_DIRECTX=True

     # Required so clients can mount HTC Desire phones as disk drives
     MODULE_01 = "usb-uhci"
     MODULE_02 = "usb-storage"
     MODULE_03 = "sd_mod"

Does anyone know why I have to keep pavucontrol running? Does it start a
background process? Could another sound daemon be stealing the sound
device and not give it back? I'm using xfce4 does it have anything built
in which would take control of the audio system?

from
Michael