I have been trying to pin down what seems to be an NBD-related kernel
bug (which I have posted about here). I determined that the behavior
appears between Ubuntu kernels 3.10.0-4.13 and 3.10.0-5.14. The older
Ubuntu kernels are OK.

The Ubuntu-to-mainline kernel map indicates that these Ubuntu kernels
should correspond to mainline kernels 3.10.1 and 3.10.2.

But I have not been able to get LTSP to work with any of the mainline
kernels I tested: 3.10.1, 3.9.6, 3.8.13, 3.7.5, 3.6.3 all fail.

It seems like I must be missing something fundamental when it comes to
testing mainline kernels. I'm using the links at
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D
<http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ekernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D> and typically
downloading/installing two linux-headers debs and one or two linux-image
debs for i386.

Any idea what's going on here?