On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 06:01:00PM +0200, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> I just read a discussion about pcDuino in another forum, and I thought
> this might give a nice client for LTSP with its 1 GB RAM. Do you agree?
> Or would you say 2 GB is better for today's work with browsers and stuff?

It uses an ARM-based processor (Allwinner A20), and doesn't yet have full
support in the mainline linux kernel. I've recently managed to get a "similar"
board, cubieboard (Allwinner A10), booting to LTSP... but no USB support, no
video, and no audio... so a little limited for use as an LTSP thin-client. :)

  http://docs.cubieboard.org/products/start

Testing ARM boards for LTSP feasibility has been a bit of a project of mine
over the last few years...

Using ARM based systems with LTSP is really for the dedicated tinkerer at this
point; I'm not aware of anything that works without building and patching your
own kernel. I'd be happy to be shown otherwise!

I'm hoping the cubox-i (IMX6) works out as a decent arm based platform for LTSP.
The case is integrated, and is competatively priced with bare developer boards
of similar capability, and comes in several models with 512MB to 2GB of ram and
1 to 4 processor cores. Basic support is largely in the mainline Linux kernel,
although still missing key features, such as video and sound last I looked.

  http://cubox-i.com

The wandboard (IMX6) is a similar board with open hardware design (though the
case is
extra), but also lacks working video support in the mainline kernel so far:

  http://wandboard.org

So I hope those *might* be feasible to actually use in a serious manner with
LTSP in the near future... but not quite ready for production environments just
yet.

I got the HP t5325 basically working at one point, not sure how well it's
currently supported:

  http://cascadia.debian.net/trenza/Documentation/HP_t5325_Debian_Ltsp_Howto/

HP stopped making them shortly afterwards.

I've also dabbled with the Raspberry PI:

  http://cascadia.debian.net/trenza/Documentation/raspberrypi-ltsp-howto/

But I'm not particularly impressed with the results; some people have been
using Raspberry PI thin/fat clients in production.

The BeagleBone Black has at least partial support in the mainline Linux kernel:

  http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black

Those are all the boards that I've tested that have any real promise as LTSP
clients. I'd be happy to experiment with more...

live well,
  vagrant