> I am unable to run RPi as a thin client.
> The only thing I accomplished so far is installing Edubuntu 12 on VmWare
> along with LTSP and connect to it using Berryterminal on RPi. However, X
> session does not start, I am only able to run so called FailSafeTerminal
> (probably because there is no armhf chroot on server).

Are you sure you were running 12 and not 14?
There is a bug in (Ed)Ubuntu 14 that indeed will give you a blank screen
after logging in with Berryterminal to a GNOME session.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/1251281
"gnome-session-flashback fails to start without hardware acceleration in
cloud/remote environments (Forwarded-X/XRDP/VNC/NX/X2GO/Chromoting)"

12 should work without problems though.
And 14 does work if you use a non-GNOME session ("sudo apt-get install
lxde")

Yours sincerely,

Floris Bos