For ease of deployment, I have the LTSP server getting its IP address by
DHCP, and so far I have been able to avoid referring to it by IP address
in various configurations.

But trying to set up fat client scanning with a server-connected
scanner, I have been following this simple tutorial for Ubuntu 14.04:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial

The last step is configuring /etc/sane.d/net.conf for sane clients,
identifying saned hosts by hostname or IP address.  I find that using
the hostname works on another standalone machine on the LAN, but it
fails with fat clients.  So far I can only make fat client scanning work
by entering an IP address.

Does anyone know how to make the hostname work for the fat client? Or is
there another method altogether, perhaps something LTSP-specific?
(Before I started following the above tutorial, I had previously simply
entered SCANNER=true in lts.conf, but that did not enable fat client
scanning, so I deleted that.)