On 5/6/2015 1:40 PM, John Hupp wrote:
On 5/5/2015 5:28 PM, John Hupp wrote:
For ease of deployment, I have the LTSP server getting its IP address by DHCP, and so far I have been able to avoid referring to it by IP address in various configurations.

But trying to set up fat client scanning with a server-connected scanner, I have been following this simple tutorial for Ubuntu 14.04: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial

The last step is configuring /etc/sane.d/net.conf for sane clients, identifying saned hosts by hostname or IP address. I find that using the hostname works on another standalone machine on the LAN, but it fails with fat clients. So far I can only make fat client scanning work by entering an IP address.

Does anyone know how to make the hostname work for the fat client? Or is there another method altogether, perhaps something LTSP-specific? (Before I started following the above tutorial, I had previously simply entered SCANNER=true in lts.conf, but that did not enable fat client scanning, so I deleted that.)

Trying to dig into this question, I find that the fat client can successfully ping the server hostname, so it's not a name resolution issue.

One interesting fact: Even on the server, sane-find-scanner (even if run as root) reports "could not open USB device <id info>: Access denied (insufficient permissions)." And on the fat client, sane-find-scanner reports the same even when net.conf identifies the saned host by IP address and Simple Scan successfully scans.

Then sane-find-scanner is broken?

Some exercises with 'scanimage -L":

On the server 'sudo scanimage -L' reports:
device hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5200C flatbed scanner device net:192.168.1.8:hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5200C flatbed scanner

If in lts.conf I enable SCREEN=02 to get root access on the fat client, then run 'scanimage -L' on the fat client in screen 2 when net.conf uses an IP address, it reports: device net:192.168.1.8:hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5200C flatbed scanner

Those devices presumably refer to /dev/bus/usb/004/002, which exists on the server.

If I run 'scanimage -L' on the fat client in screen 2 when net.conf uses a hostname, it reports no devices found.

I added back SCANNER=True to lts.conf, but this made no difference. I imagine this configuration only enables scanners connected to thin clients.

While of some interest, I don't see that any of the above tells me much.

Any ideas?

I noted in the original post that a fat client can ping the server hostname successfully, and also that a standalone on the network with a net.conf configured with the server hostname successfully scans with the scanner server.

I thought those were very solid indicators that this is not a name resolution issue, but I do get some indicators of that very issue from host and resolv.conf output:
_server_ _fat client_ _standalone_
$ host <ltsp-servername> 127.0.1.1 127.0.1.1 <ltspserverIP> $ /etc/resolv.conf 127.0.0.1 <ltspserverIP> 127.0.0.1

So indeed, the fat client and standalone are handling those differently and I need to look at that. Credit to Michael Shigorin from the sane list for pointing me in that direction.