On 5/5/2015 5:28 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> For ease of deployment, I have the LTSP server getting its IP address
> by DHCP, and so far I have been able to avoid referring to it by IP
> address in various configurations.
>
> But trying to set up fat client scanning with a server-connected
> scanner, I have been following this simple tutorial for Ubuntu 14.04:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SaneDaemonTutorial
>
> The last step is configuring /etc/sane.d/net.conf for sane clients,
> identifying saned hosts by hostname or IP address.  I find that using
> the hostname works on another standalone machine on the LAN, but it
> fails with fat clients.  So far I can only make fat client scanning
> work by entering an IP address.
>
> Does anyone know how to make the hostname work for the fat client? Or
> is there another method altogether, perhaps something LTSP-specific?
> (Before I started following the above tutorial, I had previously
> simply entered SCANNER=true in lts.conf, but that did not enable fat
> client scanning, so I deleted that.)

Trying to dig into this question, I find that the fat client can
successfully ping the server hostname, so it's not a name resolution issue.

One interesting fact: Even on the server, sane-find-scanner (even if run
as root) reports "could not open USB device <id info>: Access denied
(insufficient permissions)."  And on the fat client, sane-find-scanner
reports the same even when net.conf identifies the saned host by IP
address and Simple Scan successfully scans.

Then sane-find-scanner is broken?

Some exercises with 'scanimage -L":

On the server 'sudo scanimage -L' reports:
device hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5200C flatbed scanner
device net:192.168.1.8:hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet
5200C flatbed scanner

If in lts.conf I enable SCREEN=02 to get root access on the fat client,
then run 'scanimage -L' on the fat client in screen 2 when net.conf uses
an IP address, it reports:
device net:192.168.1.8:hp:libusb:004:002 is a Hewlett Packard Scanjet
5200C flatbed scanner

Those devices presumably refer to /dev/bus/usb/004/002, which exists on
the server.

If I run 'scanimage -L' on the fat client in screen 2 when net.conf uses
a hostname, it reports no devices found.

I added back SCANNER=True to lts.conf, but this made no difference. I
imagine this configuration only enables scanners connected to thin clients.

While of some interest, I don't see that any of the above tells me much.

Any ideas?