In the LTSP terminology:
  * thin clients are diskless. They load a minimal OS from the server
via NBD/NFS, and at login time they connect to the server with "remote
X" to run the applications on the server, and transfer the screen over
the network.
  * fat clients are diskless. They load a full OS from the server via
NBD/NFS, and at login time they connect to the server only for
authentication and to mount /home with SSHFS/NFS. They user their own
CPU/RAM to run the applications.

My advice for you is to buy normal clients, e.g. core i3 with 4 GB RAM
or similar NUCs, but without hard disks, and then follow the ltsp-pnp
installation method:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ltsp-pnp