Hallo Rolf-Werner,

Rolf-Werner Eilert schrieb am 14.12.2015 09:11:
> On our current setup, I learned that transferring the graphics to the
> terminals is a bottleneck. Another problem are programs like browsers
> which tend to suck a lot of graphical data into the terminal's RAM
> (large pictures for instance), so after some time the terminals start to
> swap. You know what I mean... Another problem are terminals with no
> modern graphics acceleration - like ours.
>
> We would like to use a current KDE desktop and up-to-date browser like
> Firefox, Wine etc. So I thought it might be better to let the terminals
> each have their own complete OS booting and use a common pool of
> individual and public defaults from the server. Maybe just using the
> binaries from the individual harddiscs, but deviating all other
> directories to those on the server.
>
> But would I need LTSP for such a thing? Would that still be a fat
> client, or: how do you define a fat client under LTSP 5? And would you
> think thin clients would do? (Personally, I would prefer thin clients.)

we had lot's of trouble with older thin client hardware (Neo, Levigo, Terra),
especially with bigger monitors and higher resolutions. We also use KDE,
Iceweasel, and everything users might want to have.

After some years I was tired of struggling with these hardware problems and
XWindows (xorg). But I wanted to stick to thin client as I like this concept
and it keeps (well, should keep :^) maintenance low.

So we kept the best pieces of the old hardware and replaced the others with
Zotac
Zbox Mini PC (C1320Nano). These are nice little boxes, fanless, quad core,
recent Intel graphics on board.

We run them mostly as thin clients (Debian, LTSP 5.5.4), but we provided a few
of them with an SSD and use them as standalones.

Viele Grüße
Helmut