On Thursday, August 22, 2013 06:27:28 AM Alexey Melnichuk wrote:
> When i compile some module i need to define Windows version(`WINVER` and
> `_WIN32_WINNT` macro). MinGW does not define this macro at all. I think we
> should define this macros in luarocks config.

No. API compatibility is a function of the source code being built, not the
build system. Different sources will have different compatibility
requirements. Put the necessary compiler flags in your rockspec. If a
developer does not define the appropriate flags to make a rock build on your
system, that's a bug in the rock. It should not be LR's job to babysit poorly
constructed rocks.

Should LuaRocks also define _POSIX_SOURCE and _LARGEFILE_SOURCE for the
convenience of Linux developers? But what if I want to use a GNU API? Now I
have to argue with LR about what compiler flags to use.

And if a user has different compatibility requirements than the rockspec
specifies, that's what the site config is for.

Remember, the Lua way is to provide the mechanism, not to dictate policy. So
no, doing this confuses the responsibilities of the module developer with the
responsibilities of the build system. I don't think it should be done.

--
tom <tellia...@whoopdedo.org>