On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 10:02 PM Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> What if you replace the Hello World by \null and disable page numbers?

Minimal example: 2.02s
Remove microtype 1.95s
Remove page number: 1.95s
Remove page content: 1.95s

For me, it does not make much of a difference.

> which means that luatex needs 0.1 sec more when we do real pages?

My question has never been about pages per second, but about startup time.
In pdftex, you can make the startup almost instantaneous with a precompiled
format. How feasible would this be in luatex?

- 32 bit fonts with features
> - unicode math
> - 32 bit patterns

All this is good, and I understand that loading takes time. Would it be
doable to use a cache or something similar to speed up the loading?

now, what really can slow down is protrusion and expansion (how useful
> and needed are they)? actually expansion in luatex is done a bit
> different (more granular, less font instances, etc) but I;m not sure if
> that adds much,

In my example protrusion did not make a significant difference. As for the
usefulness of algorithmic typesetting? I crossed that river a long time
ago. ;)