1) Is it worth going out and buying the boxed RH7.3 set, or is it cheaper
to just burn a copy of RH7.3 and buy the yearly subscription? Is there any
difference? The demo software doesn't really interest me that much, and I
the included docs the last time didn't seem that different from the
previous version.

Should I buy 7.3 pro? or just install 7.3 from CD's and buy the annual
subscription?

If you have a fast internet connection, maybe the service would be better.
You'll have money going straight to red hat that way too.

2) I'm building the machine mostly to be a server not a desktop setup.
Basically a LAMP setup (although I need to make it FP extensions
compatible for some work I do for clients). I need it to handle multiple
domains and email although traffic is very light. I'd also use it as a
SAMBA enabled storage area to hold files from winblows machines on a small
network at home.

Should be fine for that.  Not sure about the Front Page extensions, though.
(Never looked into that).

I was thinking of installing the basic system without the webserver,
mySQL, PHP and mail programs and hand install those items myself...Kinda
interested in trying qmail and using squirel mail to provide web IMAP
access to my email (when I can't use my laptop or regular workstation).

Well, I used to do things manually, but the already setup packages work fine
so I dont' hassle with it anymore.  I used to run qmail and courier-imapd
and it worked okay.  Now i'm just using the stock sendmail and uw-imapd that
comes with redhat.  It works good, too.

As gravy, it'd be nice to slowly start playing with X and remote X
connecting to server...

I have four machines at home.  One that's a server, one that has linux
and remotes from the server, and two that run windows/linux dual boot. When
on a windows box i can access the server using XFree86 compiled with cygwin.

I thought I'd seen some past posts by list users who have similar setups
or who do this for business clients. (Was that you Hoala?)

Yeah, Hoala is i the qmail and samba expert of the group.

--Ray