On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 20:10, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> Warren, after reading this post I was wondering how bad it is to just
> install everything during the initial install of my OS RH7.3? If you saw
> my last post to the list I can't even figure out how to get sound to
> work on my laptop. Whenever I try to just install what I think I need,
> then try and add an application like star office, there are so many
> dependencies that I can never get them all installed correctly. So I
> just do a full install, which is a waste of space and resources. Oh
> well, as I asked earlier how bad is a full install?
>
> Jon

Fairly bad because it is running many of those services that you have
installed, even though you don't need most of them.

Your Apache, PHP and OpenSSL is vulnerable to several exploits.  You may
already be cracked by the worm mentioned earlier in this thread.
Several other components may be vulnerable.  Check out this page for a
list of security errata for Red Hat 7.3:
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rh73-errata-security.html

Try scanning yourself with "nmap localhost" to see your open ports.  I
can already tell you that you should turn off all your services and use
Red Hat's automated update tool.

service httpd stop
service sendmail stop
service xinetd stop
service named stop
service squid stop
service smb stop

(Use "chkconfig SERVICENAME off" with those same service names in order
to keep them from starting automatically at bootup.)

Then run "rhn_register" and follow on-screen instructions.  Otherwise
use Red Hat Network in the System menu of KDE or Gnome.

"up2date -u" will download and install all updated packages at the
command line.  Running "up2date" or the "Update Agent" in X will bring
up a gui tool somewhat like Windows Update.  Just click click click,
wait, done.