At first when I heard of Red Carpet, up2date, urpmi, and apt-rpm didn't
exist.

Actually, urpmi was around a _long_ time before Red Carpet.

 There were no automatic RPM dependency tools, so I was excited
about Mono.

Mono? :-)
Ximian has always been in bitter disagreements with Red Hat, and as a result their packages are very incompatible.
oh? I don't remember anything.

I'd really like for someone to prove me wrong, but I personally feel
that Ximian Gnome has no real benefits.
Ximian produced a usable distribution of Gnome when no one else did.
Since then, others have produced good versions of Gnome, too, so Ximian's
distro is less important.  Ximian hasn't released a distribution of Gnome
for the 2.0 platform, so Ximian Gnome isn't up to date. When they do
release a version then it will be interesting to see how it compares.

--Ray