Hi Vince-

Apparently you have never used xcdroast or grip yourself? What is the most recent version of "commercial" Linux distribution that you have used?

I am asking this question, because you apparently don't really know the heck of what I was talking about. Yes, there are some inherent problems with the setuid facility--anything that deals with root privilege inherently has security problems. But it is well recognized that Linux's setuid facility allows programs to run by ordinary users to make use of the root account in a limited and tightly controlled way. Of course, it is also well noted that if you use setuid shell scripts in a certain shell, they can be entirely insecure. But we are talking about a well-known "program", and not a setuid "script". I really hate people who mix apples and oranges.

I have been doing programming, on and off, for over 35 years. Coming from the VMS (precedecor of Windows NT, btw--and there is even an OpenVMS project) background, I am also one of the first converters to UNIX. (Interestingly enough, if my memory serves me correctly, facility tools such as setuid is one of the reasons promping the conversion.) And the reason I am spending a lot of extracurricular activities hanging with computer boards such as this one, is that I don't want to be fooled by tech consultants who think technical jargons belong to their monopoly. At least I don't need no kids to teach me what "su" or "sudo" is.

Can't hide my disappointment.