Jim,

Maybe a good draw would be to have vendors set up your FOSS suggestions? If we have local vendors that can support those you may be on to something.

Don
----- Original Message ----- From: "Maddog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "LUAU" <luau@lists.hosef.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 5:53 AM
Subject: Re: [LUAU] Am I going to TPOSSCON - If not why?

With Hawaii being in the top 5 most expensive resort destinations and the cost to get people and equipment and supplies here it becomes cost prohibitive.

You can get a business rate room in Vegas for $40 a night. No income tax also is a plus.

Orlando Hotels also have package rates that make it attractive and most of the attendees come from the midwest or east coast so airfare is not extremely expensive.

Hawaii has several problems as a destination and most are political. We are in the top three in the U.S. for taxation and if the metrics truly measured the effect of the pyramided tax system here we would be number one. Hence the reason for paying $0.50+ more a gallon for gas (which is still a bargain compared to bottled water) that our mainland counterparts and that is just the cities used to calculate the gas cap. (note: there are many problems here and this is just one example)

Jim made several interesting points but I disagree with his enthusiatic claims about AD and Exchange going away any time soon and VoIP becoming so prevelent for the simple fact that organizations have committed lots of dollars to those existing infrastructures. You would be hard pressed to replace them for that alone. While the cost of FOSS may be zero dollars the cost of hiring qualified personnel (to replace your existing Windows IT staff or in addition too since there will be a transition period) and the support dollars that it will cost also need to be added into the bottom line. The transition period alone will double the cost of your IT infrastructure spending for the time it takes to complete the transition. ( this is really a complicated subject with many more reasons why it doesn't compute but this is the major reason). VoIP is gaining ground but for ten years it has been the next killer app and still to date has not been widely deployed. It is gaining ground, however.

The biggest problem seems to be the fragmentation within the local OSS/FOSS community. That can be witnessed by this very flame fest and all of the "bcc's" Jim referred to, not to mention the emails and phone calls in the background.

In short a local focus as Matt and Clifton suggested with ties to the local business community seems to have the best chance.

Flame retardant suit donned.
Don

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stan Baptista" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>