Nakashima wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2006, at 10:27  AM, HawaiiDakine.com wrote:

Nakashima wrote:

Would it be practical for the FOSS community to come up with a stable, secure, "grandpa/grandma" computer system for users who just want to do email and browse the web a bit?
--Peter

Aloha!

A FreeBSD desktop is what we use here just for that reason.

Simple and RockSolid

Al Plant - Honolulu, Hawaii

Cool!
So a FreeBSD desktop system can be made bullet proof?
I'm thinking the OS and Firefox and is all a basic user would need.
Web apps, like Gmail and Google Docs and Spreadsheets, would provide storage and productivity. Would the system be safer if it was all on a CD and there was no hard drive?
Would you be able to make a CD based system fast enough for a basic user?
--Peter