apt-get install traceroute ought to install it. But I would second the
choice of mtr. I find it much better than traceroute (although I've
only done limited work with either). Another thing you could check is
tracepath, and it may even already be installed on your system.

Sorry, I would check right now on one of my Ubuntu boxes, but they
seem to be down at the moment, so I'm not sure about the above advice.

Jason