The work-around sort of works for me (changing Menu > Preferences > Default Applications for LXsession > Power Manager: auto, to Power Manager: Other: xfce4-power-manager, then Apply and Reboot).

But I found that it had to be applied *for each user*.

-------------------------

And a further problem: I like to set the action for pressing the Power button to Shutdown, but that option is not currently offered for either of the two existing users.

When I first ran into this problem (encountering the "Power Manager is not running" sort of prompt, and choosing Run), I found that sometimes the Shutdown choice *was* offered, and I set it then for both users.

It seems that pressing the Power button usually produces a shutdown now, but I think that at least on one occasion doing so in a session with the second user produced the prompt that one would see when setting that choice to Ask rather than Shutdown.

And related: Federico, I note in a comment on Bug 1242452:

I was troubleshooting another Autostart problem (with SpiderOak online backup) and was looking for Preferences-->Desktop Session Settings, but find that it is not present.

My current assumption is that Preferences-->Default Applications for LXSession somehow incorporates and replaces Desktop Session Settings, but I have not figured out how to use it for that purpose yet.

Or its absence is also a bug.

This machine has a fresh full install of Saucy. Federico, did you *upgrade* to Saucy and perhaps thereby preserve Desktop Session Settings?

[This behavior may deserve a separate thread.]

I'll post separately about the SpiderOak problem, though it seems related.