I referred to this problem in another thread, but it really is a separate topic, so here it is on its own.

I was troubleshooting an Autostart problem and was looking for Preferences > Desktop Session Settings, but find that it is not present. This is in a full installation of desktop i386 Saucy done within the past week or so.

Federico Leoni reports that Desktop Session Settings is present in his full install, so my initial assumption that Preferences > Default Applications for LXSession somehow replaces Desktop Session Settings is incorrect.

So the next question would be how can I fix this (and maybe also how did it happen)?