On 11/18/2013 5:40 PM, John Hupp wrote:
On 11/18/2013 4:52 PM, Federico Leoni wrote:
2013/11/18 John Hupp <lubu...@prpcompany.com <mailto:lubu...@prpcompany.com>>:
> When understanding broke upon me today concerning LXSession's default
> setting (in 13.10) of 'disable_autostart=config-only' (rather than
> 'disable_autostart=no'),  I changed it to NO and immediately solved a
> weeks-old problem with SpiderOak Backup not auto-starting.
>
> But this change triggered a new problem: There are two instances of
> nm-applet running.  Both instances work and yield the same information.
>
> Since I had set disable_autostart=no in both
> /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf and in
> ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf, I considered it possible (though > unexpected) that this was causing two instances to autostart, but setting
> disable_autostart=config-only once again in
> /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/desktop.conf did not solve the problem.
>
> The obvious questions: What happened?  How can I fix it?
>

> --
John,

you need to disable "network" from Prefereces-->Desktop
Session Settings.

F.

That sort of works.

As Julie Lavergne noted today in a post with Subject: 'Back on 13.10 release,' lxsession-edit (Preferences: Desktop Session Settings) has been removed from 13.10. It has been replaced by lxsession-default-apps (Preferences: Default Applications for LXSession). I think you and I had some previous exchange on this topic.

But the layout and functionality of lxsession-default-apps seem confusing. You might think that its Autostart tab was intended to replace lxsession-edit's functionality, but as far as I can tell so far, it's major function is to disable/enable whole classes of autostarting apps. There seems to be a provision for manually adding and controlling single apps, but there is no pre-populated list as there was with lxsession-edit.

In any case, on the Running Applications tab, I edited Network GUI: nm-applet and set that to NO. This results in only one instance of nm-applet running for that user. The edit must be repeated for all users. [There is undoubtedly a global configuration that would fix that, but it does not seem to be achievable through the GUI, and I have not found documentation for accomplishing that directly in a configuration file.]

But I still don't know where the other instance of nm-applet is launching from. /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart is empty, as is ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart. And there is no *.desktop entry for nm-applet in the ~/.config/autostart folder.

After some further research, I found that the still-enabled instance of nm-applet is auto-starting from /etc/xdg/autostart/Network.desktop.

But I also found that /etc/xdg/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart and ~/.config/lxsession/Lubuntu/autostart are both empty files. So in lxsession-default-apps, when I set changed Network GUI from nm-applet to 'no', what was it writing that setting to?