Ok, I will make a page soon, and get all the info over.
I posted on those bug reports so I could keep track of them and let them
know someone was at least trying to come up with a solution to fix the
problem (though hacks are fun).
Thanks for finding this stuff!!
I hope we can get this sorted out. It looks like the bug shows that the
panel is the problem, though.  This is true up until a point...  I tried
searching for Greenfoot in Unity and it was bigger than the small square
the icons are put in.  I didn't check Xfce, or KDE as I don't usually
test those.
I have stumbled upon the program:
update-menus
and
update-icon-caches
But not sure if either of those could be modified to fix this issue for
everyone.
(i.e. check the Desktop file Icon= line and check the icon size.)

--
Regards