I've found it useful to create desktop files that point to configuration files. I can't remember where these files are when I need them most and I'm too lazy to use commands to track down the files. I'd rather not create aliases or write up shell scripts when desktop files are simpler to create for an ad hoc situation.

A gui (whatever your flavor) is there because it does certain things better than the console. It's harder to visualize files spatially without Thunar or similar gui file manager.

Jordan