Agree. But just one thing to keep in mind: Ubuntu itself hasn't themed
grub2. The normal screen is like this: http://i.imgur.com/95sPGMI.png
When you're talking about a more "complete" theme, do you mean something
like this? http://i.imgur.com/Mj6fe6U.png

I'm sure you know you can customize (on any Ubuntu flavour) the grub, grub2
or burg entries and theme it a bit with Grub Customizer:
http://goo.gl/Pmj9qH

Anyway, I was having a look to the wiki docs:

grub2: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
grub2 (displays): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Displays

I don't say theming grub2 for Lubuntu is a bad idea. I'm considering that,
if there's no Ubuntu flavour customized, why should we? But I insist, if
you all (the Community) consider it's a "must-have", I'll be glad to work
on it.

Cheers!

--
Rafael Laguna