Gents:  Thanks for the replies, I've bounced back over to OSX side (so I
can have "sleep") . . . I'll test this out some time tomorrow when I'm back
in linux world . . . .  I'll let you know.

Not holding my breath, perhaps I shouldn't even be thinking about this for
the "PPC" aspect . . . it just would be the determining factor to being
able to use linux more regularly, as my computer use is periodical
throughout the day, etc and sleep/suspend is "necessary"  to do that.

@Israel: appreciate the, "This might suspend yr computer, but no guarantee
it will wake" . . . indeed that is more or less what is happening--need the
power button to get out of it, etc.