Hi you might initially try adding nomodeset to the boot parameters
It seems your particular computer does have certain issues with this shutdown/suspend thing
This should answer 'how to'

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Troubleshooting#Editing_the_GRUB_2_Menu_During_Boot

basically:

# If the GRUB menu is displayed, the automatic countdown may be stopped by pressing any key other than the ENTER key. # If the menu is not normally displayed during boot, hold down the SHIFT key as the computer attempts to boot to display the GRUB 2 menu.

 * In certain circumstances, if holding the SHIFT key method does not
   display the menu pressing the ESC key repeatedly may display the menu.

Then change:
quiet splash
nomodeset

If it worked here is how to finalize the change
edit /etc/default/grub
i.e
sudo pico /etc/default/grub
change:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

There are a few other kernel options to try... but this one works pretty well often.

If it works then we can look into tweaking it and testing other things, if you have odd graphics or some other issue when using nomodeset