Den 2016-06-01 kl. 17:51, skrev E James:
On 01/06/16 15:48, Walter Lapchynski wrote:
What about the net install?

On Jun 1, 2016 7:39 AM, "E James" <e_ja...@moladn.net
<mailto:e_ja...@moladn.net>> wrote:

     On 01/06/16 15:13, Aere Greenway wrote:

     > Since I need to get the wireless working first on my machines before
installing, I prefer to use the live desktop version (rather than the alternate
install), so I would probably not use a CD-size alternate install version anyway.

     If you're maintaining support for older hardware (like my Shuttle), it's
worth pointing out that the Alternate install will work with 512MB ram while
the Live Desktop won't.

Some years ago I found a procedure for installing Debian which started with 2
floppy discs and downloaded everything else. I could live with that if the
procedure was suitably automated like the old Mandrake software selection menu.
My understanding of the inner workings of Linux is very limited.

For my Shuttle, I did consider the possibility of making a custom version of
the Alternate install CD, but it looked like a lot of work to solve a one-off
problem. At the time, I was unaware of Plop which I should check out as a
possible solution for future problems.

If by net install you mean PXE, I don't yet understand the technique. It seems
that there are several preparatory steps. A clear step by step guide would be
appreciated. First question - if the hardware doesn't offer the option, is it
still possible?

Hi James,

Netboot can mean PXE.

It can also mean the Ubuntu mini.iso, which is a small iso file (~ 40 MB). This iso file installs a basic system, which is then downloading the other program packages via the internet. You can do almost the same thing with the Ubuntu Server iso file, which is also within CD size.

You select which meta-package(s) to install, and you can get Lubuntu that way. It is not as straight-forward as with the Lubuntu alternate iso file, and you need a wired internet connection, but it works.

See this link,

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230389&p=13211730#post13211730

Best regards
Nio