On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 7:18 PM Walter Lapchynski <w...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 09:48:43AM -0700, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> > "Death is inevitable, suffering is not . . ."  but, um, SSD is less than
> > year old, shouldn't quite be "dying" just yet . . . one would "hope."
>
> You would expect… but I've had failures in less than a year.

OK, remains to be seen . . . if it had continued to not boot then it would
be "clear" there is a problem . . . but, so far I've now been able to boot
it, and then the disk showed up in the other two OSX DU . . . .

> > there is an "APFS" "dmesg" section that runs
> > **before** the Grub window loads, and it's hard to know if that has
> > interfered with the Grub menu, or not.
>
> I'm afraid to even ask how you have this thing set up. What is this
> other thing running before GRUB?

I'm afraid to think about it as well . . . but, if I just reboot the
computer w/o alt/option key, then an OSX command line looking "dmesg" of a
few lines of "bash" script shows up mentioning "APFS" several times, the it
shows a "Welcome to Grub" . . . and then the list of operating systems.
The 10.14 system was installed with only that drive plugged in, so that
wouldn't mess with the linux installs . . . and generally the linux
installs are done after the OSX installs on the same drive.