@Walter:

"Then don't be too surprised. When you're working on the development
version, it's expected there will be some amount of breakage, no matter
how much folks try to avoid it."

I have experienced a certain amount of "breakage" over the years,
particularly when there was a "PPC" distro; this last bit of "breakage,"
which now seems to be taking a break . . . appeared to be "systemic" across
the machine, and not just in one distro . . . and hard to know which distro
might have been "involved" as a few of them are "rolling" and each of them
seems to have a different kernel.  The Lubuntu 19.04 was the last actual
install, then upgraded to 19.10, but I have upgraded via Terminal, most of
them . . . and there was a week or so back the problem with a Leap 15.1
kernel, that did "do some breakage" . . . a few days later a new kernel was
released . . . a little hard to be "scientific" with so many players
playing through the same machine . . . it might be akin to a "multiple
personality disorder."

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 8:17 PM Walter Lapchynski <w...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 07:35:43PM -0700, Fritz Hudnut wrote:
> > but, if I just reboot the
> > computer w/o alt/option key, then an OSX command line looking "dmesg" of
> > few lines of "bash" script shows up mentioning "APFS" several times
>
> This is the part that worries me. It sounds like you're not sure how it
> got that way. As this is not necessarily a simple thing to do (Ralf did
> a good job of demonstraing that), I'm concerned about how easy it will
> be to troubleshoot this when it doesn't work. I urge you to see if you
> can't figure out the details as that will certainly help people help
> you.

Well, indeed, when running so many distros and installs it is hard to "know
everything/all of the time" . . . this machine is an "experiment" . . . as
far as running a number of installs in the machine, not via virtual . . .
but from what of the Siduction guys posted, I'm not really pushing the
envelope too much . . . compared to some multi-booters.  I did this OSX and
linux thing on all of my computers over the last 12 years or so, in the
same way of using Yaboot or Grub . . . but the APFS format is a new one,
this appears to be similar to if I booted into single user with one install
of OSX 10.14, they run some bash script at the beginning that mentions "UC
Berkeley" or something like that . . . .  I don't know if that is put on
the "mobo" when the install is run, or into its own EFI partition, but, it
shows up for a few seconds and then Grub appears . . . now once again
functioning, seeming to be OK.

In the interest of "science" . . . today I couldn't make my "which distro
is this morning's distro" decision fast enough, and the top listing is
U-MATE 18.04 . . . today, the "system program problem" error window that
doesn't show any "details" did not open after logging in to GUI . . . ????
We've all perhaps moved on to the next point of breakage?  I wanted to see
if this issue was still happening in "ubuntu" or if it has now been
upgraded/fixed . . . .  Since this thread wasn't exactly about all of the
problems I was having, but trying to figure out if the "unidentified system
problem" was indicating something "serious" or something temporary . . . at
least in MATE it appears to have been "temporary."  If it continues to open
when I get back to Lu 19.10 . . . I'll mention it.

Thanks for the conversation on it.