On 9/5/22 10:32, Fritz Hudnut wrote:

    (snip)

Ralf:

Alrighty, thanks for the reply . . . the "disappearing Firefox" thing only was a problem as far as wanting a browser to search for answers to the problem of apt "hanging" in the process of updating the system . . . .  On cold boot FF came back.

But, the question of what happened with apt was the more important question . . . was it trying to install a too new kernel and then tried to back out of it?  It was an odd episode . . . .

Hey Fritz,

You could search for the available kernels to see which ones are available, and which ones are installed.

You can also look in the /var/log/dpkg.log something like:

grep "upgrade " /var/log/dpkg.log

That might give you a starting point.

As for the disappearance of firefox, I think snap/flatpak packages don't always show up after install, there may be a way to force it to update the menus but I don't really like to use either of those unless I *really* have to, so I don't know off the top of my head/

--
😷