From: Jean-Sylvain Boige [mailto:jsbo...@aricie.fr]
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 12:44 PM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org; lucene-net-...@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [Lucene.Net] Graduation

Hi all,

I'm not sure if it's the best moment for that, but here are my 2 cents.
I have the feeling that a lot was done recently, and that the project is
taking a good direction.

To reflect on your impression, the one example of how it could go wrong I'm
thinking of, where a few people invest in bursts and in their turn is
Sharpmap (http://sharpmap.codeplex.com/) It's been years than a couple of
committers are literally throwing thousands of lines of codes at that
project, with dozens of branches and each method refactored a couple of
time, but not a clean release since then, loads of inertia, and non
committers quite at lost.

I reckon the effort is better coordinated here, with clear incremental
steps.

However, when it was announced that the project could collapse, I reflected
that we were a quite a few consuming the lib, possibly interested in getting
involved, but striving to follow the upgrade path. By that time, v2.4 was
the common version around, and with 2.9.2 the upgrade path towards 3.0 by
replacing all the obsolete constructs was already a pain.

I know several integrators could not be bothered, yet we did make those
changes, and by the time we were finally ready to move on with the latest
upgrades, you guys added a constraint, which resulted in a complete show
stopper for us: .Net Framework 4.0. I understand that it feels natural for
anything fresh, but with that decision you probably lost those, who like us
have their products packaged with Lucene.Net in many existing environments
where moving to .Net 4.0 is neither an option nor a decision of ours.

Since then, we have kept investing into our 2.9.2 integration, but it will
be months at the very least until we can consider imposing .Net 4.0 as a
requirement for any further upgrades to our products.
I'm pretty sure there are quite a few of us in that situation, which feels a
bit similar to when we were many stuck with 2.4.1 constructs while help was
requested to upgrade past 2.9.2.

I guess you get the idea: it's a good thing if the project moves fast
because of a few committers deeply involved, but it's as important to make
sure most traditional integrators are following behind.

Cheers,

Jesse