On 2012-02-01, Prescott Nasser wrote:

> Stefan has it on his agenda to get us to graduate, so I wanted to kick
> off a conversation on how we feel about that - do we feel we are
> ready? Why/why not. What are all the steps we need to take, etc.

Prescott, many many thanks for starting this.

> My two cents, Im worried about the sustainability of our community. I
> feel like we are a very small group working on this and that if one or
> two key players left we'd be in a ton of trouble. We haven't really
> developed great sustainable momentum, more like great bursts of effort
> then nothing for a while.

I understand this and even agree that the size of the developer
community is my biggest concern as well.

Lets add some stats to that (I know stats lie)

<http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?path=%2Fincubator%2Flucene.net>

shows the current team has been more active last year than any group
that worked on Lucene.Net before.

<http://svnsearch.org/svnsearch/repos/ASF/search?from=20110101&path=%2Fincubator%2Flucene.net>
shows six different people have committed something during the time
inside the incubator which is more active developers than quite a few
Apache TLPs can show.

Of course it would be nice if the team was bigger, but maybe the "in
incubation" badge is actually keeping some people away from
contributing.

The team is big enough to make releases with three people reviewing the
artifacts and voting on them - as you have already demonstrated three
times.  This is the only requirement the ASF has on PMC size - along
with independence: six PMC members working for a single company would
not be good enough.

> We have also yet to fully determine the path we wish to take with the
> code base, seems we are split with a line by line and something that
> more closely resembles the .net world. I fear without determining our
> goals we might fumble, which id rather do in the incubator.

Actually I'm not sure you are split at all.  Last time the subject was
discussed you all seemed to be on the same page.  Maybe you should break
the things you consider controversial into simple questions and poll or
even vote on them (in a different thread).  This may not only help in
determining if there actually is a split but also documenting the
decision.

Stefan