De : Simone Chiaretta [mailto:simone.chiare...@gmail.com]
Envoyé : mercredi 1 février 2012 21:10
À : lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Cc : lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Objet : Re: [Lucene.Net] Graduation

If I had to vote, I'd vote against graduation at this point.

As other said, while the user base is pretty big, the dev community is
relatively small and still relying on just a few people.
Also all the accessories around a OSS projects are very difficult to maintain,
probably due to the strict environment of the foundation, like CMS, CI, source
control and so on.
Also, there must be an official way of communicating to the user base, which is
not the ML or some sporadic news on the site or on other blogs.

But the main point is a lack of long term strategy that is shared by everyone:
most OSS can go along without such things, but Lucene.net is in a position
where such strategy is needed.
Shall Lucene.net be just a port of the java lib, and evolving with it (and
following the evolution of the java language) or shall it just be inspired by
it and go along with the pace of .NET, which is much faster than the java one?
Shall Lucene.net keep on actively supporting companies still on .NET 2.0, or
follow the evolution and drop support of old versions and adopt the innovations
coming with the newest releases?

Personally I think Lucene.net should go directly to the latest version
available of Lucene for java (which should have all the nice features like
generics, lambda and such) and do as everybody is doing regarding support: just
do critical bug fixes on older version and just support the latest or 2 latest
versions of .NET (which now will be 4 and 3.5). But this is probably not the
right thread to discuss this topics.

Wrapping up, I'd say no to gradation until the strategy on these two points has
been decided, and a better communication strategy is in place.

Simone

---
Simone Chiaretta
@simonech