there have been numerous problems/bad features with the hot-spot mode
on sun's linux vm, the reason for this is that hot-spotting is
optimizing your code by doing very weird stuff with your code :-)

anyway i'm glad -classic works well for you. the bad performance is a
known problem with the linux-kernel java threading system. When it
comes to threads windows jvms outperforms linux jvms because of kernel
internal things i don't even try to understand...

i have used the 1.3.1 linux jvm from ibm with great stability, how does
the ibm jvm perform against the sun jvm when it comes to thread
performance?

there is also a 1.3 jvm from a group called "blackdown" that is free
and optimized for linux. there was some talking in the news about it
being very good at threading... you could try it..  (
http://www.blackdown.org/ )

mvh karl řie