So you have a holding table in a database (or directory on disk?) where you
store the incoming documents correct? Does each webserver run it's own
indexing thread which grabs any new documents every 20 minutes, or is there
a central process that manages that? I'm trying to understand how you know
when you can safely clean out the holding table.

Did you look at having just a single process that was responsible for
updating the index, and then pushing copies out to all the webservers? I'm
wondering if that might be worth investigating (since it would take a lot of
load off the webservers that are running the searches), or if it will be too
troublesome in practice.

Also, I'm interested to see how you handle the situation when a server gets
shutdown/restarted - does it just take a copy of the index from one of the
other servers (since it's own index is likely out of date)? I take it it's
not safe to copy an index while it is being updated, so you have to block on
that somehow?

PS: It's great to hear Lucene blows Oracle out of the water! I've got some
skeptical management that need some convincing, hearing stories like this
helps a lot :-)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]