Thanks David, that's about what I figured. Of course if the servers are
pulling the information then a central holding table that contains only new
data doesn't make much sense anymore. Instead I guess the easiest approach
would be to have a central table that contains the entire dataset, and has
last-modified timestamps on each record so the individual webservers can
grab just the data that was changed since they last ran an index update. My
concern still is that the effort of indexing (which is potentially quite
high) is being duplicated across all the webservers.

Is there any reason why it would be a bad idea to have one machine
responsible for grabbing updates and adding documents to a master index, so
the other servers could periodically grab a copy of that index and hot-swap
it with their previous copy? Is Lucene capable of handling that scenario?
Seems to me that this approach would reduce the stress on a webservers even
more, and even if the indexing server went down the webservers would still
have a stale index to search against. Has anyone attempted something like
this?

"David Medinets" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [...]
I'm