[Anand Stephen]  You could attach the current Thread to Runtime shut
down hook and release all resources when (ctrl +c) or the app shuts
down. This works for me.

<code-snip>
        Thread t = new Thread(this.getClass().getName()) {
            public void run() {
                logger.info("Closing Lucene indexer; releasing
resources.");
                try {

                    if (writer != null) {
                        logger.info("Writer is open closing it!");
                        writer.close();
                    }
                    if (reader != null) {
                        logger.info("reader is still open, closing
it!");
                        reader.close();
                    }

                } catch (Exception e) {
                    logger.info("Error occurred shutting down Lucene
indexer.   " + e.getMessage(), e);
                }
            }
        };
        Runtime.getRuntime().addShutdownHook(t);

</code-snip>