Doug Cutting wrote:

Julien,

Thanks for the excellent explanation.

I think this thread points to a documentation problem. We should improve the javadoc for these parameters to make it easier for folks to

In particular, the javadoc for mergeFactor should mention that very large values (>100) are not recommended, since they can run into file handle limitations with FSDirectory. The maximum number of open files while merging is around mergeFactor * (5 + number of indexed fields). Perhaps mergeFactor should be tagged an "Expert" parameter to discourage folks playing with it, as it is such a common source of problems.

The javadoc should instead encourage using minMergeDocs to increase indexing speed by using more memory. This parameter is unfortunately poorly named. It should really be called something like maxBufferedDocs.

I'd like to see something like this done...

BTW.. I'm willing to add it to the wiki in the interim.

This conversation has happened a few times now...

Kevin

--

Please reply using PGP.

http://peerfear.org/pubkey.asc NewsMonster - http://www.newsmonster.org/