Don, I think I finally understand your problem -- and mine -- with
MultiSearcher. I had tested an implementation of my system using
ParallelMultiSearcher to split a huge index over many computers.
I was very impressed by the results on my test data, but alarmed
after a trial with live data :)

Consider MultiSearcher.search(Query Q). Suppose that Q aggregated
over ALL the Searchables in the MultiSearcher would return 1000
documents. But, the Hits object created by search() will only cache
the first 100 documents. When Hits.doc(101) is called, Hits will
cache 200 documents -- then 400, 800, 1600 and so on. How does Hits
get these extra documents? By calling the MultiSearcher again.

Now consider a MultiSearcher as described above with 2 Searchables.
With respect to Q, Searchable S has 1000 documents, Searchable T
has zero. So to fetch the 101st document, not only is S searched,
but T is too, even though the result of Q applied to T is still zero
and will always be zero. The same thing will happen when fetching
the 201st, 401st and 801st document.

This accounts for my slow performance, and I think yours too. That
your observed degradation is a power of 2 is a clue.

My performance is especially vulnerable because "slave" Searchables
in the MultiSearcher are Remote -- accessed via RMI.

I guess I have to code smarter around MultiSearcher. One problem
you highlight is that Hits is final -- so it is not possible even to
modify the "100/200/400" cache size logic.

Any ideas from anyone would be much appreciated.

Mark Florence
CTO, AIRS
800-897-7714 x 1703
[EMAIL PROTECTED]