The bottleneck seems to be disk IO.
Since this is a read-only index, why not spread some of the frequently
scanned index files over multiple disks, or put the index on SCSI disks
hooked up in a RAID.  Maybe this is already the case, but you didn't
mention in.

Oh, I already answered a similar question once before:

Otis
http://www.simpy.com/ -- Index, Search and Share your bookmarks

--- Yonik Seeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to speed up queries to a
> large index.
> I'm currently getting 133 req/sec, which isn't bad,
> but isn't too close
> to MySQL, which is getting 500 req/sec on the same
> hardware with the
> same set of documents.
>
> Setup info & Stats:
> - 4.3M documents, 12 keyword fields per document, 11
> unindexed fields per document.
> - lucene index size on disk=1.3G
> - Hardware: dual opteron w/ 16GB memory, running 64
> bit JVM (Sun 1.5 beta)
> - Lucene version 1.4.1
> - Hitting multithreaded server w/ 10 clients at once
> - This is a read-only index... no updating is done
> - Single IndexSearcher that is reused for all requests
>

> Q1)  while hitting it with multiple queries at once,
> lucene is pegged at 50% CPU usage (meaning it is
> only using 1 out of 2 CPUs on average).  I took a
> thread dump
> and all of the lucene threads except one are blocked
> on
> reading a file (see trace below).  I could create two
> readers, but that seems like it might be a waste, and
> fixing
> a symptom instead of the root problem.  Would multiple
> IndexSearchers or IndexReaders share internal caches?
> Is there a way to cache more info at a higher level
> such that
> it would get rid of this bottleneck?  The JVM isn't
> taking up
> much space (125M or so), and I have 16GB to work with!
> The OS (linux) is obviously caching the index file,
> but
> that doesn't get rid of the synchronization issues,
> and the
> overhead of re-reading.
> How is caching in lucene configured?
> Does it internally use FieldCache, or do I have to use
> that
> somehow myself?
>
> "tcpConnection-8080-72" daemon prio=1
> tid=0x0000002b24412490 nid=0x34a4 waiting for monitor
> entry
>
> [0x0000000045aba000..0x0000000045abb2d0]
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.CompoundFileReader$CSInputStream.readInternal(CompoundFileReader.java:215)
>         - waiting to lock <0x0000002ae153fa00> (a
> org.apache.lucene.store.FSInputStream)
>         at
> org.apache.lucene.store.InputStream.refill(InputStream.java:158)
>         at
> org.apache.lucene.store.InputStream.readByte(InputStream.java:43)
>         at
> org.apache.lucene.store.InputStream.readVInt(InputStream.java:83)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermDocs.skipTo(SegmentTermDocs.java:176)
>         at
> org.apache.lucene.search.TermScorer.skipTo(TermScorer.java:88)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.search.ConjunctionScorer.doNext(ConjunctionScorer.java:53)
>         at

org.apache.lucene.search.ConjunctionScorer.next(ConjunctionScorer.java:48)