Oops, CPU usage is *not* 50%, but closer to 98%.
This is due to a bug in CPU% on RHEL 3 on
multiprocessor CPUS (I ran run multiple threads in
while(1) loops, and it will still only show 50% CPU
usage for that process).  The agregated (not
per-process) statistics shown by top are correct, and
they show about 73% user time, 25% system time, and
anywhere between .5% and 2% idle time.

Unfortunately, this means that I won't be getting any
performance improvements from using a second
IndexSearcher, and I'm stuck at being 3 times slower
than MySQL on the same data/queries.

I guess the next step is some profiling... move the
server out of the servlet container and move the
clients in with the server, and then try some hprof
work.

Does anyone have pointers to lucene caching and how to
tune it?

-Yonik

--- Bernhard Messer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>