On Nov 10, 2004, at 2:17 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Otis or Erik, do you know if a Reader continously opening should cause the
Writer to fail with a "Lock obtain timed out" error?

No need to address individuals here.

With the information provided, I have no idea what the issue may be. There certainly is no issue reading and writing to an index at the same time, but only one process can be writing/deleting from the index at a time.

        Erik

--- Lucene Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: The attached Java file shows a locking issue that occurs with
Lucene.

One thread opens and closes an IndexReader.
The other thread
opens an IndexWriter, adds a document and then closes
the
IndexWriter.  I would expect that this app should be able to
happily
run without an issues.

It fails with: java.io.IOException: Lock
obtain timed out

Is this expected? I thought a Reader could be opened
while a
Writer is adding a document.

Any help is appreciated.