One thing about subversion branches (from "Key Concepts Behind
Branches" in chapter 4 of the subversion book):

"2. Subversion has no internal concept of a branchâonly copies. When
you copy a directory, the resulting directory is only a "branch"
because you attach that meaning to it. You may think of the directory
differently, or treat it differently, but to Subversion it's just an
ordinary directory that happens to have been created by copying."