First I'm getting a

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://lucene.apache.org/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/TestQueryParser.java

The following error was encountered:

   Unable to determine IP address from host name for /lucene.apache.org

   /Guess the system is down.

I'm getting this error:

org.apache.lucene.queryParser.ParseException: Encountered "is" at line 1, column 15.
Was expecting:
"]" ...
when I tried to parse the following string "[this is a test]".

I can't find any documentation that tells me what the brackets do to a query. I had a user that was used to another search engine that used [] to do proximity or near searches and tried it on this one. Actually I'd like to see the documentation for what the parser does. All that is mentioned in the javadoc is + - and (). Obviously there are more special characters.

Thanks,
Jim.

Jim.