Dear Ron,

The Nottingham University Music Department Library has some modern
editions and facsimiles of lute music, although the way they
catalogue books means that their books of lute music are not all in
the same place. There is even quite a bit of lute music in the
Nottingham Central Library in Angel Row. Both those libraries are no
more than 20 miles from where you live. If you pop into the
Manuscripts Department at Nottingham University, you can see the
original Willoughby Lute Book, and the original part-books (in the
Portland Collection) containing Dowland's (non-lute) psalm settings.

There is some confusion in what people have in mind with the words
"primary source". A primary source for me is the one-and-only
original manuscript, e.g. the Welde Lute Book owned by Lord Forester
at Willey Park, Shropshire, which I looked at last Friday. A
secondary source might be a modern edition, microfilm, photograph,
or facsimile edition. My point is that where primary sources become
damaged, and things like notes are lost from them, modern copies
temporarily take over as the primary sources, since they are the
only places where those missing notes are preserved. I wouldn't
normally think of a facsimile as a primary source, apart from the
unusual circumstances I have described.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.