Dear Kenneth,

Very interesting to hear your parallel with the art world. I suppose
the problems with a painting are far more complex than those with
music manuscripts. As often as not, a bit of damp or aging here or
there will not necessarily lose us the music (the raison d'être of
the manuscript), whereas similar damage to a painting destroys part
of its very essence.

I had been thinking of the Chilesotti lutebook in this context, but
had forgotten the Straloch Lute Book. It is a pity one of those
19th-century enthusiasts who copied Straloch didn't make a copy of
the Etwall Hall Lute Book too.

Etwall is a little village just the other side of Derby from where I
live (Nottingham). There used to be a stately home there, but it was
not looked after very well. If I remember right, there had been
soldiers billeted there during the Second World War. Ownership
passed to the local authority, who neglected the building as it fell
into disrepair. Eventually they pulled the building down (in the
1950's), and built a school on the site. Goodness knows what
happened to the contents of the house, including the lute book. As
with the Welde Lute Book, we have a tantalising reference to the
"Etwall Hall Lute Book" in the 19th century, but, unlike the Welde,
no-one knows where it is now.

Quite a few years ago the late Robert Spencer made inquiries about
the Etwall Hall manuscript, but got nowhere. I did what I could too,
nosing around libraries in Derby, contacting local historians, and
generally asking around. I drew a blank too. It is possible that the
book still survives, of course, but as time goes by, one is left
wondering if the book was simply thrown away. Who knows?

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.