Dear John,

thank you for your kind advice. What I learned about English
is that its written form didn't follow the changing
pronunciation over the centuries, and that around 1500 the
sound of the vowels for example was quite the same as they
were written. I understand that spelling in German for example
kept more or less track to its spoken form, but I cannot judge
for other languages. Choosing the right rhythm when reciting
the poem seems to be quite helpful with regard to
pronunciation, thank you for pointing me in that direction.
So, would you for example speak/sing the words "showres" and
"flowres" in Dowland's "Go crystall teares" more like single
syllable words as the jambic rhythm would suggest? Maybe even
with an open "o" like in "shores" and "floors" :-)

Go crystall teares, like to the morning showres,
And sweetly weep into thy Ladies breast.
And as the dewes revive the drooping flowers,
so let your drops of pity be addrest,
to quicken up the thoghts of my desert,
which sleeps too sound, whilst I from her depart.

And while we're at it: is it "desert" or "desart" (like in
stanza two, where it is rhymed on "heart")? Or the other way
round, kind of "depert" and "hert" :-)

Sorry for going so much into detail, I simply no nothing about
this, but I am curious on the musical quality of elizabethan
pronunciation. I don't really care if an audience could
understand it just from hearing, because in Germany very few
people understand the song texts even in today's pronunciation
the first time they hear them.

Regards,

Stephan

Am 29 Sep 2003 um 23:07 hat Jon Murphy geschrieben: