"Thomas Schall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:
> Just a question: What about Jiddish? I've learnt it would be exactly the same than
> the
> "Mittelhochdeutsch" and would be nearly unchanged for about 800 years?

it is a branch which has, in fact, retained many a form of medieval German.
Yiddish, however, has changed a lot over the centuries in that it e.g. took over
a lot of vocabulary and some grammatical features from surrounding languages
(Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, English). Actually, I doubt it can be called an
Indo-European language at all because half of it is Hebrew. There is, btw, no
Yidish word for the lute. So, what is this about? :)

--
Cheers,
Mathias

Mathias Roesel, Grosze Annenstrasze 5, 28199 Bremen, Deutschland/ Germany, T/F
+49 - 421 - 165 49 97, Fax +49 1805 060 334 480 67, E-Mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]