At 03:54 AM 11/3/2003 -0500, Jon Murphy wrote:
>Actually Hebrew (and Arabic and Aramaic) are in the family of Indo-European
>languages.

Sorry, no.  I speak as a former linguistics major.

>Sanskrit is one of the bases, but the differences in sound of the
>Semitic languages are minimal when compared to the similarities.

Having studied French, German, Russian, Latin, Greek and Hebrew, I beg to differ.

>As I
>remember my linguistics only Basque and Finnish are languages west of the
>Caucasian Mountains that aren't in the family.

Also Hungarian and Lappish, which along with Finnish belong to the Finno-Ugric family.
 The other speakers are tribal peoples from east of the Ural mountains.

Caroline
Caroline Usher
DCMB Administrative Coordinator
613-8155