I have joined the club, my flat back may or not be considered a lute, but it
shares one characteristic. The chanterelle broke after five days of
stringing.

I looked at where it broke (and used the remaining string to retune - which
broke again in a short time). I thought I had clean string (it had broken at
the bridge tie), but I assume that the new section, being already stretched
and stressed, wasn't able to support a new bridge knot (as it broke there
again).

A few days ago I spoke of a harpist's trick, and I can't say if it works or
not for a week or so (as my newly strung chanterelle may last, and it may
not). But I took a bit of heavy guage harp string scrap (.055"/1.4mm) and
inserted it into the sharpest point of the knot to reduce the bend on the
thin string. It may work and it may not, but I toss it out to you as a
suggestion.

Best, Jon